Sunday 25 March 2007

Etude 1

Basic Details :

UV reactive paint using stencils, and pens.

Ian Hunter

Digital Arts and Music Technology

UV Stencils

I wanted to create a UV room, covered in reactive paint. I would then have a selection of stencils avaliable that the users could attach to the walls. In the center of this room there would be a rotating UV light, and as it passes over the stencils, it will leave there imprint.

Conceptualisation of the work.

In order to do this I would need a large powerful UV light, and a room big enough for it to look cool. This proved to be quite a tricky place to find. I would create the stencils myself, with past experience in creating them. Also I would provide random objects that could be added to the stencils to create more interesting shapes etc.

Decribe and depict what the actual concept of the etude is.

This space will be very user orientated, as what is on the walls will be decided by the user. It will also be very temporary as when the light passes around the room once again, it will erase most of the stencils, leaving them slightly faded. I think that this would be an installation that everyone could enjoy and take part in. Also with some nice synthy dark music, it would be an experience just being there. To add some more texture and fun to the UV paint, I was thinking of using different coulors of paint, so that as the light passed around the room without any stencils, it would already be a nice installation. I have looked into buying UV lights, and the reactive paint, and I have found several retailers that stock such things.






Inspired by the group Random International, I have been looking into blacklights and there uses. I would really like to do something like with this simple, natural light source. The lamps and paints are relatively cheap, and the results are fun, and interactive. I have always been interested in graffiti art, and in particular stencils. I will try and do some experiments with this on a smaller scale, and update this study with some pictures of the results.

Documentation of Technical and Artistic Process.

Stay tuned !!

Technical Analysis.

http://www.glowtec.co.uk/paint-blue-UVR-2.htm

This is a brilliant link, with some really cheesy example of how UV paint can be used to create art works etc.

check out there gallery.

http://www.glowtec.co.uk/UV-R-gallery.htm

References.

http://www.random-international.com/
http://www.technika.com/Sper/s330005.htm
http://www.glowtec.co.uk/paint-blue-UVR-2.htm

How successful is the etude.

This has turned out to be a really interesting etude, with lots of different ideas spinning around in my head, I think that the idea above can be created fairly easily, with some really cool results. I have ordered some UV paint in a few different colours, and I am currently looking for quite a large UV light so that I can experiment further with this idea in the next week or so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may want to look into Chauvet LED SHADOW. It's a UV LED Panel.
www.chauvetlighting.com I use them and they are light weight and use very little power! ( 40 watts each! )

You could mount it on a peice of wood, and then suspsend the wood on a motor that moves to make it spin around the room like you want.

Good luck! And please do post updates!